Thursday, February 7, 2013

Who is Observing Your Actions?

I have been pondering things recently.  I was having a discussion with a dear friend of mine, and it was as if a light came back on in my head that I had some how turned off.  Although I was reminded of a truth, she put that truth in such simple terms.


  • "She reminded me that the enemy cannot read my mind.  He observes my actions."  And with that came a flood of revelations I thought I would reflect on here.


We talked about how the enemy is not the only one observing our actions, there are always witnesses watching us too.  Our reach is determined by our reaction according to Lysa Terkurst in her book "Unglued".

So as the world watches, does our actions line up with what we say?  Do our actions demonstrate sin, disobedience, fear, hate, etc that doesn't line up with what we say about God and our beliefs.

The body is the reflection of Christ to the world.  If we say one thing and yet do another, we become false witnesses to the world.  No wonder the world is no longer drawn to the church.  No wonder the body is loosing its impact on the society in which it is to minister.

My mind is on overload as I ponder these truths.  It is absolutely amazing when God allows a light of revelation to be switched on in our thoughts.  It seems to multiply and add into all that we already know.  I started taking that thought and coupling it with others truths I had already been mulling over in my head and it was as if the universe opened up in a new way and so much more made sense.  (Guess it is like going from glory to glory)

So with this truth, I see two sides.  On the one side, there is the observation of our sin actions or our faithless actions, then on the other side is the observation of our obedience to Christ and our faith filled actions.

When Satan observes our sin and distance to God, he comes at us with all manner of thoughts.  He is trying to convince us that we are not worthy of what Christ did for us so why not give up, or maybe even get us to doubt our salvation.  However, he is partly true.  By our actions, we are not worthy.  But we must have been worth a great deal because God sent His most prized son to stand in for our worthless actions in order to rescue us.  Our value is not in what we do but in the fact that we are.  So when the enemy points at your sin to condemn you, just thank him for bringing it to your attention, ask God for forgiveness and get back to doing that which is right and walking in fellowship with the Lord.  We need to remember that he is not the all powerful one, God is.  And we can do all things through Christ who gives us our strength.  We are more than conquerors.  We are mighty warriors in the hand of our Lord.   The enemy prowls around seeking those he can devour and destroy.  He comes to steal, kill and destroy us.  But Jesus came to give us LIFE!!!!!


He is prowling around searching for those who are weak and vulnerable to destroy them.  Our actions will be the thing that indicates our vulnerability. That is why our actions matter so much.  They either make us a target or they can become our shield.  Many see a life surrendered to Christ as confining, restrictive, or full of don't do this and don't do that; but I am hear to tell you that it is not at all the case.  It is our unrestrained actions and sin that leaves us vulnerable to attack.  Read what First John 5:3 says.  "This is love for God: to obey his commands. And his commands are not burdensome."

Imagine for a moment that we are a pack of antelope.  If one of us wanders far from our herd, we become vulnerable.  If we begin to act in a manner to draw attention to ourselves to demonstrate we are injured we become sitting ducks for the lion to come and tear us apart.  The lion will have no mercy on us because we are weak or alone.  As a matter of fact, that would be his preference.

On the flip side, as we walk out our faith, the world sees our life lining up with what we profess, so we become a genuine witness.  Also, the enemy sees our faith demonstrated by our actions.  Even though he may throw the fiery arrows at us, they will no longer be effective because we are able to take our stand.  It is so good that when we stay in fellowship with our Lord and with His followers, we are protected in our herd; therefore we are not as vulnerable to the attack of the enemy. It doesn't mean we are free from his attempts, because a hungry lion will go into a pack of animals if necessary.

I hope this encourages you and even gives you more incentive to live a life of faith by obedient actions.  Be complete in Christ.  (1 John 2:5 5 But if anyone obeys his word, God's love is truly made complete in him.)  Ask Him to enable you and equip you today to walk out your faith.  Let's not only do it for ourselves and our protection, but let's do it for all the witnesses that will be watching to see if our actions really line up with our professions.  Remember our actions can bring us victory or defeat.  It can leave us powerful or vulnerable. And it can determine our effectiveness to those around us.

This blog really goes hand in hand with another blog I wrote earlier. Getting Dressed

Deuteronomy 28 is a great chapter to read regarding the results of obedience/disobedience.  Genesis 22:18 refers to the blessings of our offspring because our obedience.  Look at the first part of 1 Peter 1:22 "Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth."  Look at these verses:   Daniel 4:27 27 Therefore, O king, be pleased to accept my advice: Renounce your sins by doing what is right, and your wickedness by being kind to the oppressed. It may be that then your prosperity will continue." and Genesis 4:7 7 If you do what is right, will you not be accepted? But if you do not do what is right, sin is crouching at your door; it desires to have you, but you must master it."


Rom 6:12 (Flesh) 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.

Rom 6:16 (slave to the one you obey) 16 Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey--whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness?

Prov 19:16 16 He who obeys instructions guards his life, but he who is contemptuous of his ways will die.

PS 119 Blessed are they whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the LORD. 2 Blessed are they who keep his statutes and seek him with all their heart. 3 They do nothing wrong; they walk in his ways. 4 You have laid down precepts that are to be fully obeyed.

9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to your word. 10 I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. 11 I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.

67 Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word.

95 The wicked are waiting to destroy me, but I will ponder your statutes.

98 Your commands make me wiser than my enemies, for they are ever with me..

104 I gain understanding from your precepts; therefore I hate every wrong path.

165 Great peace have they who love your law, and nothing can make them stumble.



Have a great day!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Life can be Difficult

I know that difficult times are not fun at all.  In fact, they can be really awful. I have been wondering lately though. What if I frame my ...

Search This Blog