Friday, April 3, 2015

Bedrock and the Living Stones

I decided to try something different in my blog post today.  If you would like to listen to it instead of read it, there is an attachment for you to use.



I am pondering the scripture in Matthew 16 where Peter and Jesus are talking, and Jesus asked the disciples, "who do you say that I am." Peter says, "You are the Christ, the son of the living God." Then Jesus tells him that this statement is the foundation He will build His church upon. Jesus responded, “Simon son of Jonah, you are blessed because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father in heaven. And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the forces of Hades will not overpower it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven...
I looked at this scripture on Bible Gateway in the  Holman version , it can be noted that below the scripture shows some interesting definitions for Peter and for Rock.  Peter is a rock, but the rock is noted as Bedrock.

Reflect on the fact that Christ is the ROCK, the cornerstone. He is the stone the builders rejected, but He ended up being the perfect fit for the temple.  And we are His living stones, and He is using us to build his church.

I was thinking:  The cornerstone didn't require any carving or chipping away in order to fit.  But the rest of the stones had to be chipped away in order to fit into the building.  Isn't that just like us?  Christ is the only one that is perfect.  He came perfectly packaged. but for the rest of us, through the course of our lives, we have to be chipped away in order to fit into the building that Christ is building.

Food for thought.

Footnotes:  In ancient times the cornerstone was the stone at the corner of two walls that united them. It was the visible corner of the foundation of the building and the starting point of all future building above the foundation. It was the most costly stone because of its beauty and strength. It was also the largest, most solid and carefully constructed stone.

Verses about the cornerstone


What does it mean that Jesus Christ is the cornerstone?

See historical explanation in the 4th paragraph.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Life can be Difficult

I know that difficult times are not fun at all.  In fact, they can be really awful. I have been wondering lately though. What if I frame my ...

Search This Blog