Monday, March 2, 2015

Lessons Learned


Addition 3/4/2015:  Thanks to Lisa Morris, I read the following on Facebook and I just had to tag this blog to this.  12 Bible Verses for the Struggling College Student

It is hard to believe how long I have been seriously walking with Christ. Lately, I have been looking back over my time with Jesus, and it has been enlightening.  It has been good to see the landmarks in my life along, (stones of remembrances) and to think on the faces of those I was walking with during each study.

I have recounted my bible studies over the years, the Christian books I have read, the Christian conferences I attended. Each seems to be marked with lessons I've learned, life stages I've gone through, even trials and a multitude of relationships. As I look back, I can see markers that have helped carve out my course and helped to shape me into the person I am today.

My oldest daughter plans to attend college at my Alma mater. This weekend she and my younger daughter were playing in a tournament in that town. Following the games, on our way home, we took a different route than we have before, and it happened to be the way I drove home from school on breaks when I attended the university. I was flooded with college memories. This drive took us through the town where I attended high school as well which flooded my memory with my high school days. Funny how that drive coincided with the trip down memory lane.

Probably not coincidental. I know God is showing me something.  In times past, He always draws my attention toward things, and then He shows me how it all ties together.  With all this nostalgia, I am really thinking on my life experiences. I began to think through all the lessons learned, the common sense stuff, book knowledge and the overall wisdom that comes with being on this earth for a spell.

So I sat down and made a list of things that I want my girls to know:
  1. Be careful in whom you trust and confide -  But do trust and do confide.
  2. Be confident but not arrogant. (bold, and courageous - with humility)
  3. Do not talk badly about about others.
  4. When you're married, do not talk badly about your husband to others.
  5. Treat your husband with respect and teach your children to respect him.
  6. Do not manipulate people to try to get your way.
  7. Do not put people down or be critical.
  8. Build up others and encourage them.
  9. If you must correct another, do it in love and do it in private.
  10. Treat people with respect, treat them the way you would want them to treat you.
  11. Recognize the love languages of others and meet it.
  12. Relationships are important, but remember according to 1 Cor 15:33 bad company corrupts good character.
  13. Respect yourself and only spend time with men who treat you with respect (you deserve it)
  14. Don't give yourself too freely no matter the promises.
  15. Honor your body.
  16. Think of others and put them first.
  17. Set aside your right to be right when possible. (so chose your battles) Think of ways to be in agreement without compromising your principles. Never try to "fit in" if it means going against your values and that which you know to be right.  
  18. Love Jesus.  He truly did give His life for you.
  19. Love and honor Jesus with your body, actions, words, work and study.
  20. Read the scripture for it is the road map to navigate this life.
  21. Respect all authority that is over you. If authority leads you to go against God's principles, respectfully disobey. God will be with you.
  22. Grow up and mature in your walk with the Lord. 
  23. Line up your values, morals and principles with God's law.
  24. He is your creator and He is an expert in what is best for you.
  25. He is not trying to rob the fun out of life. Jesus came so you could have an abundant life and be full of joy. 
  26. He knows the traps and pitfalls the enemy has laid out for you. He can protect you if you will obey Him and walk with Him.
  27. However, He will not force you to obey. Once you venture away from His protection, He is a gentleman. He will lovingly pursue you, but He will never force Himself on you. This will leave you vulnerable to the enemy, and enemy and world will proceed to consume you
This list is not exhaustive, just exhausting. HAHA. 

So how on earth do I expect them to hold on to this wisdom.  When we love God with all that we are, and love others as we love ourselves, we will do those things and so much more. So I guess you could say, "all we need is love."  (I can hear the Beatles...  and now that song is going to be stuck in my head the rest of the day)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Life can be Difficult

I know that difficult times are not fun at all.  In fact, they can be really awful. I have been wondering lately though. What if I frame my ...

Search This Blog